Peace Action Project, supported by Caritas Germany, aims at providing emergency relief to women suffering from gender based discrimination along with psychological wounds in the conflict vulnerable areas of Bodoland Territorial Council (BTC) and Karbi Anglong district in Assam. The focus is on women led, community owned peace-building processes.
The Women Peace Committees strive towards creating an inclusive environment, integrating civil societies like student unions, government official, Gaon Bura (government appointed village leaders), adolescent groups and the media to increase the inter-mingling and interaction between communities ,build confidence and strive towards creating harmonious relationships between communities.
- 45 Women Peace committees formed with approximately 780 women members comprising of different communities
- Functional and active Watch Groups formed in both Karbi Anglong and BTC
- District level consultations conducted to bridge the gap between the community and service providers
- 19 Gender Based Violence victims provided support to revive their livelihood
- Trained 17 volunteers and 500 women community leaders on peace concepts, legal provisions and social action
“IGSSS has given me a platform (WPC) to learn new things; experience new things and be more confident to stand for my rights and for other women’s right”. – Ranika Rongpharpi, President, Klirdap Women Peace Committee, Assam.