We are responding!
The whole world is witnessing a disaster like never before. The unprecedented health pandemic caused by the COVID-19 has caused havoc and have unsettled everything. It has crashed economies and broken health-care systems, filled hospitals and emptied public spaces.
IGSSS, through its projects, has been reaching out to 400,000 most vulnerable people in rural and urban areas of 23 states with the support of around 90 partners. The communities that we work with like small farmers, tribal, daily wage labourers, construction workers, homeless people, single women urgently need our support and solidarity. Their livelihood has been disrupted due to lockdown and their survival is threatened.
IGSSS’ is responding. However, the magnitude of the impact is so severe that we need the support of donor agencies, Corporate Social responsibility (CSR) and individuals to reach out to as many people as possible with relief and long-term rehabilitation program.
Updates from the Field:
1) IGSSS has created a community WhatsApp group wherein we are connected with 139 villages and 25 slums. We have to date 300 plus community volunteers WhatsApp group from 139 villages where we share the COVID related information, state advisories, relief packages and also understanding their concerns during the pandemic and lockdown.
2) In Kashmir and Jharkhand, our project staff and community people are voluntarily organizing and collecting food to be distributed among the people who most need it.
3) IGSSS Urban Poverty Reduction team along with other urban networks of social workers, researchers, urban practitioners, lawyers are engaging with state and local governments to ensure timely relief and support to the most marginalized people.
4) IGSSS is distributing dry ration to homeless, daily wage labourers in Delhi, Mumbai and distributing cooked meals in Chennai.
5) IGSSS’ partners are engaged in the distribution of dry ration / cooked meal in Jharkhand, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar. Few partners are helping the daily wage labourers to fill up the forms to receive the relief packages as announced by Government.
To know more about how IGSSS and its partners is responding to the COVID-19 pandemic, please read our weekly reports: