Participatory Verification and Monitoring Project for Carpet Weavers of Kashmir
“Participatory Verification and Monitoring Project for Carpet Weavers of Kashmir”, supported by Label STEP is an endeavour to better the working and living conditions of carpet weavers in two villages of Block Sumbal in District Bandipora.
District Bandipora is one of the 22 districts in J&K. This district was carved out from the erstwhile Baramulla district in 2007 and is bounded by district Kupwara in the west, district Baramulla in the south and Kargil, Srinagar and Ganderbal districts in the east. It occupies an area of 398 km² and has a population of 306511.
The district comprises three Tehsils or Blocks that is Bandipora, Sumbal-Sonawari and Gurez. The project is being implemented in Block Sumbal-Sonawari.
Types of Beneficiaries:
• Male Weavers in the age group of 18 to 55
• Women Weavers in the age group of 18 to 45
• Children in the age group of 12 to 18
• Ex-Weavers and Master Weavers
Key Intervention Area:
• Mobilizing and organising vulnerable carpet weavers
• Sensitizing them on their rights, entitlements and services
• Promoting multi-stake holder dialogue between carpet weavers, government officials and representatives from civil society and resource organisations